A strong neck
Help your baby’s muscles get strong with these simple activities.
Your baby’s neck and back muscles need to be strong for him to sit up. Don’t keep him strapped into a seat, take some time to let him stretch and strengthen his neck.Gentle neck lifts
- Lie your baby flat on his back on a soft surface on the floor.
- Take both of your baby’s hands and wrists firmly and pull your baby up slowly.
- Be aware not to pull or jerk your baby’s arms or to do this exercise if your baby’s neck muscles are still unstable. You should only try to do this when your baby has good head control.
Other stuff to try
- Lie your baby on his stomach on a soft surface on the floor.
- This will teach your baby how to play facedown and he will soon be able to lift his head from the floor.
- To help him you can take his favourite toy or a noisy toy and encourage him to look up at it. This will help to strengthen his neck and back muscles.
Point out and name objects to encourage him to look up when he is on his tummy.
Take him for a walk in a pram – now that he can be propped up in a sitting position for short periods, he will enjoy exploring the environment.
Rock your baby and dance around the room with him.
Help your child to become aware of his toes by putting them gently near his mouth.
Invest in a baby gym which has objects your baby can hit, pull, squeeze and swing.
Buy bath toys that will encourage him to lift his neck to look.