Is my baby safe in hospital?
Every now and then you hear of a baby going missing. How likely is it?
Of all the fears you have now that your baby is here, this is one that can be dealt with most easily. The most important thing is for you not to hand your baby to just anyone to look after. The system is designed to keep the babies safe, so don’t try to bend the rules yourself.
- Most hospitals have very strict security policies in their maternity wards.
- Some hospitals have “magnetic” ID bands which will set off an alarm if your baby is taken out of the maternity ward.
- Maternity wards can usually only be accessed by staff with security clearance.
- Some hospitals have a security guard at the entrance of the maternity ward.
- Only mothers and partners are allowed with the baby.
What are your biggest fears surrounding your baby?
- Grandparents are allowed to visit the mother and baby.