‘Killer’ zebra recalled
Deadly chemical prompts manufacturers to recall popular toy.
The Kids ll
Start Your Senses Zebra
toy has been recalled
after it was discovered to contain a harmful yellow dye- a dye responsible for the deaths of 400 people in 1981, the Mail Online
The toy is distributed by US manufacturer Kids ll, but has also been available for purchase at online stores
internationally.The danger details:
- The toy, pictured above, contains the chemical dye 4-Aminoazobenzine, or Aniline Yellow
- The dye is used in some computer printers, paints and varnishes and some insecticides
- It is toxic, and prohibited for use in products which may be chewed by babies at it carries a cancer risk
- Classified as a Group 2 carcinogenic, it carries a risk as it may be carcinogenic upon ingestion or skin contact.
- The manufacturers have insisted on a recall, although the risk is “pretty small” as the same chemical was reportedly behind the deaths of 400 people in a mass exposure in 1981.
Rather than return the product, purchasers are advised to cease using it immediately, and to destroy it. Effecting a recall internationally would be almost impossible as there is no record of the purchasers. The offending product allegedly has a product code starting with a Q and then a four digit number.
It is typical of educational fun rattles
, with rattling, crackling and clacking features as well as a mirror. Black and white tones are popular with baby toy manufacturers as these stimulate the baby- an infant finds it easier to discern shapes in black and white rather than bright colours.Here are some toys and the ages most appropriate for their use:Know your toys
The teething toy
What’s your child’s favourite toy?