Care for your breasts
Love your breasts as much as your baby does.
Many people make a great fuss over breast care and recommend all sorts of potions and lotions. If your baby is latched correctly, you shouldn’t have any problems and breastfeeding will be painless.
Here are a few things to bear in mind
- A daily shower with warm water is all the cleaning you need.
- Wash the breasts, not the nipples.
- Avoid soap as this has a drying effect on the skin and washes off the natural softeners.
- Nipples should be kept dry between feeds, so change soggy breast pads.
- Prevent cracked nipples by correctly latching the baby onto the breast. The nurses at the clinic will help with this if you're struggling.
- Wear a comfortable bra, even to sleep in if it helps.