Songs to soothe a baby
Dr Alban, Johnny Clegg, Abba? Some music works wonders to quell that screamer's yowls. Here's our list, add yours.
When my oldest son was teething, I walked the passage for hours, trying to jiggle and rock him to rest. Many nights I would struggle to stay awake, and the only thing that got me through was music.
From Johnny Clegg and Dr Alban to Abba and The Lurchers, my vinyl collection kept me company in the dark hours.
I began to notice that, while it didn’t help him sleep, he was distinctly less miserable when the beats were dark and heavy. Reggae became a firm favourite.
I truly don’t believe in the power of Mozart to make babies clever, but I do think that music has some magic power over babies. So here is my (incredibly subjective) list of the top 10 baby soothing songs.
* Hello Afrika by Dr Alban
* No Woman No Cry by Bob Marley
* I Don’t Wanna Dance by Eddy Grant
* Scatterlings of Africa by Johnny Clegg
* Dancing in the Street by Mick Jagger and David Bowie
* Staying Alive by The Bee Gees
* The Ballad of Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp
* Dancing queen by Abba
* Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes by Paul Simon
* Crazy Little Thing called Love by Queen
I’m guessing the moms and dads who are walking those dark passages tonight have their own soundtrack. But if not, load up one of these, I truly recommend them!
What are your favourite baby-soothing tunes?
Read more by Adele Hamilton