The nine month check-up
What to expect at the clinic or doctor’s office.
When your baby goes for his vaccinations at nine months, it’s a good opportunity for an overall health check too. These are the milestones the doctor looks out for, but don’t worry if one or more
Gross and fine motor control
- The weight will be plotted on the growth chart.
- The head circumference is also plotted.
- The height will be measured.
- The baby’s general appearance will be examined for an unusual signs.
- The baby should typically sit for a minute without support and be able to use hands to hold a toy.
- The limbs on both sides should move the same.
- Arms and legs will be checked for unusual floppiness or stiffness.
- He should be able to hold a bottle to drink from.
Language hearing and vision
- Your baby will probably be making clear and separate sounds.
- He’ll turn when you call his name.
- The doctor will check that your baby follows and object with his eyes, and if there is any sign of a squint.
- Most babies of this age will hesitate to be handed over to a complete stranger, as they become more aware of who is familiar.
- The doctor will look at the relationship between you and your child to see if you are coping okay.