Baby dies after eating laundry pod
A US baby has died of poisoning after ingesting household detergent.
US: A baby staying at a house of safety for battered women died after ingesting a laundry pod which he found lying on a bed, according to The mother of the 7-month-old boy had left him sleeping on the bed in order to speak to a shelter official, and when she returned he was allegedly eating the laundry pod, a colourful plastic capsule full of detergent. He was rushed to hospital where he later died from the poisoning.

Warning to parents:

Experts warn that all detergents, household cleaners and washing powders pose a danger to young children, and say that laundry pods or sachets in particular may be a hazard as some come in colourful packaging or have a similar appearance to sweets. One expert even suggested to MyFoxOrlando that laundry pods should not be kept in a home where there are children under the age of five.
  • If you keep laundry pods in the home, it is recommended that you store them locked away in a high place.
  • If your child licks or swallows any household detergent, laundry soap or cleaning product, contact your local hospital’s poison control centre right away.
  • Never do laundry where a small child can access basins or washing machines, as these may also present a drowning hazard.
Do you make sure that your cleaning products are out of reach for children?

More on

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.


Want to know what your baby looks like and what you can expect at this stage?




Balance routine and creativity

Little people need routine, but creative play is also essential. Try these activities with them to balance the two.

See more >


Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.