Baby eats 42 magnets!
Mom shocked as baby swallows 42 fridge magnets.
Babies are notorious for tasting things adults never would, and, occasionally, smaller items get swallowed- that’s the reason many toys and other items carry warnings such as “SMALL PARTS- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN”- but you can imagine a Russian mom’s horror at realising that her missing fridge magnets could well be inside her baby, according to the Austrian Times.
Article originally in Parent24
“M” is for...
After discovering that her alphabet fridge magnets were all missing the magnets from their backs, the mother realised that her 12-month-old was the likely culprit; a rushed visit to the ER and an ultrasound confirmed her fears- all 42 of the magnets were clearly visible in the child’s digestive system. Surgery was needed to remove the foreign objects and the child is reportedly recovering.
Magnetic munchies are an ongoing problem- HuffPo reports that last year a child swallowed 37 magnets, and that a certain magnetic desktop manufacturer had been forced to remove stock from retail outlets.
Most parents use fridge magnets to keep their budding artist’s crayon masterpieces on the fridge, or to manage shopping lists or school timetables. The alphabet letters are also common to many homes. It would appear that these seemingly harmless objects present a significant risk to very young children. Consider securing any magnets in your home, and, as they say, keep them out of reach of small children.
What’s the weirdest thing your child ever swallowed?