Get clever with school lunches
Make packed snacks fun and healthy with SPAR.
The thought of another dry cheese spread sandwich is enough to make any child camp out in front of the tuck-shop. Keep lunchboxes healthy and interesting, combining starch and protein. A fruit or some veg also adds taste and improves the nutritional value. Add to your sandwich repertoire by trying new fillings, or something more adventurous.Lunchbox ideas to try
- Cheese wedges and wholewheat crackers or a bran muffin.
- Pita bread or wraps make a change from your usual loaf.
- Use cold pasta to make a salad and pack a chicken or meat kebab for protein.
Small plastic containers that seal well are great and allow you to pack a variety of peel, chopped fruit, carrots or celery sticks, or a handful of peanuts, dried fruit or biltong.
Keep food safe by packing the lunchbox in an insulated bag with an ice pack. Pack a fresh bottle of water every day, and an extra juice if they’ll be doing sport. Freezing the juice overnight keeps it cool and helps keep other lunchbox item fresh.Your healthy lunch SPAR shopping list
- individually wrapped cheese blocks or triangles
- packets of dried fruit and unsalted nuts that can be decanted into small containers
- individually wrapped fruit sticks
- wholegrain crackers
- peanut butter
- tinned tuna
- fresh fruit
- mini tomatoes
- carrots, cucumber and celery for veggie sticks
- seed bread for low-GI sandwiches
- fillings for sandwiches, such as chicken or lean ham
- small yoghurts
Your local SPAR has everything you need, so pop in today and make your child’s lunch box a lovely surprise.