Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Have a squirt gun fight with your children on the last day of school. Be ready to play as soon as the kids get home.
- Kick off the holiday with a braai. Have some games ready for your children like water balloons and a treasure hunt.
- Each year on the first of December, give everyone a special a new pair of Christmas pyjamas to wear throughout the month.
- Plan on opening one special gift on Christmas Eve rather than saving all of the gifts until Christmas Day. This spreads out the fun!
- Make handmade Christmas cards as a family.
- Create or purchase new ornaments each year for the tree. Consider ornaments that say something about each child - a favourite sport, interest, book, theme, or something that reminds you of your child or some activity you did together.
- Enjoy a family night once a week with special holiday crafts or games.
- Start a Christmas themed puzzle somewhere in your home. A puzzle table is great when you or your children want to get away from the action.
- Play special music. Ask everyone for their favorite holiday CD.
- Take a photo of your children standing in a particular spot each year (in front of the tree, by the front door). Make a special album that depicts the growth and change of your family each year.
- Research the holiday traditions of your nationality. Adopt a few of these traditions into your annual celebration each year to celebrate your heritage.
- Adopt a special cause each year and spend some time as a family helping those in need, or raising or donating money for a charity of your choice.
- Have each member of your family fill a box full of items to give away.
- Create gratitude lists. Write down what you are grateful for and have your family members to join you in creating their own lists.
- Make Saturdays in the holidays Dad's day to make breakfast with the kids.
- Put up the Christmas tree together. Make it special with music and delicious food.
- Eat Sunday dinners together.
- Friday night movie and pizza!
- On New Year's Eve, leave children's shoes outside their room doors to be filled with sweets and small toys.
- New Year’s fondue. It’s a very slow way to eat a meal, and a great way to spend the evening with your family.