The benefits of raising multilingual children
Here are some of the great things about multilingual kids.
Helping your kids learn to understand and speak another language may not always
, but there are many reasons why it’s a great idea. Here are just a few of them:
- Research has shown that multilingual toddlers tend to develop into more flexible learners and have an advantage when it comes to learning to read compared to those who only speak one language.
- Learning another language expands children’s personal horizons helping them develop bigger, more embracing attitudes about the world around them and also fosters better understanding and appreciation of other people and cultures.
- Early exposure to additional languages gives kids a “cognitive edge”, improves their overall academic performance and provides valuable exercise for the brain, which can lead to an increased density of “grey matter” and protects against the effects of mental aging in later life.
- Multilingual children often develop better social skills and a greater tolerance and acceptance of differences in others.
- Learning an additional language can greatly improve a child’s overall confidence.
- Studies suggest that multilingual people are often more creative and have better memories as well as problem-solving and listening skills.
- The ability to communicate with non-English speakers, both in South Africa and while travelling abroad is a great asset to have in later life and it frequently opens a variety of opportunities for further studies and careers.
More information about raising multilingual kids: