7 tips on bee safety
What to do if your child is stung by a bee and how to avoid it.
Every year children and parents are forced to share their space with bees. Some people are fine with this, but others, especially those that are allergic (or uncertain whether they're allergic or not) find bee season a terrifying one.
Bee safety for parents and kids
As summer approaches, it’s worth reminding your children about how to react when there are bees around and also update any medication you may have in the home to counteract bee stings and especially medications which may save the life of someone allergic to bee stings.
Quick tips on bee sting treatment via Health24
Not everyone is allergic to bee stings, but here are some of the symptoms of a bee sting allergy:
• Wheezing or breathing difficulties.
• Hoarseness, cough or tightness in the chest.
• Difficulty swallowing or slurred speech.
• If an allergy has been proven, ask your doctor about an epipen (adrenaline syringe). You can keep this at home just in case of a sting to reverse the symptoms of an anaphylactic reaction.
Contact emergency services immediately in the event of these symptoms.
For regular reactions to bee stings, you can:
• Remove the stinger by scraping it off with a fingernail or credit card, but don’t pull it out as this pumps more venom into the sting.
• An ice cube can help relieve the pain
• Medication such as Ibuprofen can help to relieve persistent pain.
If the swelling does not go away or continues to increase after 24 hours, contact your doctor.
Apart from medical treatment of stings, let your children know never to disturb a beehive, to wear shoes when walking over grassy areas with flowers and to keep cold drink containers covered with a lid. Also, don't forget to make sure your first aid kit is kept up to date from season to season and when you travel.
Stay calm and move away slowly from bees if you encounter them.
Is anyone in your family allergic to bees?