Children these days are not brought up with discipline anyways; they have no respect and no responsibilities.
Readers respond to Ban the Smack! by Scott Dunlop.
There are parents that care about their children and do discipline them, and don’t want harm to come to them, that want the best for their children, that want their children to have respect for the elders... and then they must be punished for wanting that for their children.
Then you get the parents that just drop them at the malls to smoke and carry on just so the kids don’t get in the way of their social life and those parents don’t care about discipline?!
How many times did you as a child/teenager want to punish your parents for not allowing you to go out with your friends, can you imagine what the kids of today will do if they don’t get their own way “oh, I can just say that I was spanked, and get them out of the way for a while!” How many parents are going to be going to court because they “spanked” their children, or they didn’t?
Why is the government wasting our money passing stupid laws, instead of bringing back the death penalty, castrating the rapists and other important issues in our society?
Yes I believe that child abuse must stop, but disciplining your children has to happen! I was disciplined when I was in the wrong, and I turned out to have respect for elders and my parents especially, and I thank them for how I grew up, I never said I was abused, if I deserved a good hiding, then that is what I got.
A few Bible verses pop into mindProverbs 19:18
- Discipline your children, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to their death,Proverbs 22:15
- Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away. Proverbs 23:13
- Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die. Proverbs 29:15
- A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother. Proverbs 29:17
- Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire.
And the most famous of all... Proverbs 13:24 whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
I think the government must stop trying to medal in family matters and let the parents raise their children; I am a parent of two boys, and the thought of them being “allowed” to have sex at 12 just raises my hair!
And they wonder what went wrong with our youth?!Claire