The only routine is no routine
This mom has her strategy. There is no routine, only constants and variables.
Luke and I have found the only routine that works is no routine.
There are constants and variables:
- Every night animals are to be fed, Luke finds the bowls for the dogs and fills them with pellets
- I feed the cats
- Luke feeds the rodents
- I feed Luke. Works well
- While supper is cooking Luke does homework if he has, if he does not he gets to watch CBeebies
- Eat supper
- Morning – breakfast
- Pack bag for karate
- He eats while I pack his lunch
- Leaving house by 7am
- Hidden kiss at school
- Bath can be morning or night
- Bedtime can be between 7h30 and 8h30 – if amazing race is on or such
- Cuddle while watching tv or reading a bed time story
- Wake up can be anything from Luke waking me at 5 to me waking him at 6
And so the day starts, some days with a few tears when Luke wants to play and not get ready.
But all in all this works for us.