Susan de Wet
Lebo | 2012/12/04
My baby doesn't want to breastfeed
My baby doesn't want to breastfeed. She is 9months old now. Is there anything i can do for her to drink my milk. I feel she is still too young.
There might be a few reasons why your baby does not want to breastfeed.
1. She has been given bottles and finds it hard to latch onto your breast.
2. She might be frustrated if milk flow is slow.
3. She might be teething.
It is important to find the reason for the refusal.
Tricks you could try:
1. Bath with her and spend time naked.
2. Co-sleep with your baby and offer a breastfeed while she is still sleepy.
3. Do not give any dummies or bottles, only fluid out of a cup. (see previous posts on cup feeding)
4. Add your breast milk to her solids like her veggies or porridge.
5. You could also make ice lollies with your breast milk. Mix liquidised fresh fruit and breast milk into a ice lolly shape in your freezer.
The information provided does not constitute a professional diagnosis of your problem. You should consult a health care practitioner,
lawyer or other appropriate professional for formal advice. Parent24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or
personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.