Win a year's subscription to the Mysmartkid programme!The Smartbox filled with age-appropriate toys, tools and activities as well as expert advice for children from before birth to 6 years.
Parent24 readers have their sayReaders share their thoughts and opinions - you can too!

Marlise Van Onselen


Posted by: Stacey Harmse | 2012-08-23


Second Pregnancy

I am pregnant for the second time and I have a lot of back pain and period pain. Is this natural? Is there any thing I could do to get rid of the pain?

Expert's Reply


Marlise Van Onselen Marlise Van Onselen
- 2012-09-18

It is normal to have aches and pains during pregnancy but sever cramping or pain is never normal.

Normal abdominal pain and cramping

Braxton-Hicks Contractions

Braxton-Hicks contractions are weak contractions in the lower abdomen and groin that come and go with no regularity. It is your uterus why of preparing itself for labour.  Braxton-Hicks Contractions can starts in the second trimester, if contractions begin to worsen or become regular, you need to see your care providers.

Ligament pain

As your baby is growing the uterus became heaver and your ligaments that are supporting the uterus stretches and that can course some pain or discomfort. As this is your second pregnancy your ligament are already stretched and it can be even worse.   You most probably are more active than in your first pregnancy as you have another child to pickup and to care for.

Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)

UTI's are more common during pregnancy because of changes in the urinary tract. The uterus sits directly on top of the bladder. As the uterus grows, its increased weight can block the drainage of urine from the bladder, causing an infection.  Lower abdominal pain, pressure, or tenderness in the area of the bladder is symptoms of UTI.

Please do not hesitate to contact your healthcare provider for any advice with pain and discomfort as premature labour is our biggest concern with pain during pregnancy.


The information provided does not constitute a professional diagnosis of your problem. You should consult a health care practitioner, lawyer or other appropriate professional for formal advice. Parent24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Sorry, your comment could not be posted. Please try again later!

Reply to

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.