Win 1 of 5 Physiomer Baby hampersWe're giving away 5 hampers, each containing 3 products!
Parent24 readers have their sayReaders share their thoughts and opinions - you can too!

Phillipa Tucker


Posted by: Lisa | 2008-11-15


We owe R100 000 in school fees

Please, I am looking for advise on the following. My son attends a private school in Gauteng, he is 13yrs old and has been there since he was 5yrs old. His older brother attended the same school from 5yrs to 18yrs. We are behind in school fee's purely and utterly due to lack of finances. My husband does work but, we are finding it hard. The school is holding back our eldest sons matric certificate because of outstanding fees. We have just asked for a up to date statement.

Expert's Reply


Phillipa Tucker Phillipa Tucker
- 2013-02-13

Unfortunately many parents choose private or independent schools and then fall into the same problem. They are often very expensive and because you have signed a contract with a company there is very little that can be done to assist you.

The contract that you signed probably has a clause that says the certificate can be withheld and the child kicked out of school.

Contact Mr Vivian Davids at (011) 355 0000 or He is responsible for independent schools in Gauteng and is very efficient and is best placed to see what can be done regarding the matric certificate. I also recommend you immediately register your son at three or four government schools in your area, even if you are told that you are on the waiting list at least you have a chance.

Do not panic because it is the responsibility of the Dept of Education to place every child and they have to find him a place in his area.

The information provided does not constitute a professional diagnosis of your problem. You should consult a health care practitioner, lawyer or other appropriate professional for formal advice. Parent24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments

Posted by: Karin | 2015-03-05

I am also behind with my sons school fees and he finished Matric in 2014, I am currently paying THEM R1000 a month via stop order, is there no way I can still receive his matric certificate? He went to a private school in Kwa - zulu Natal, please can somebody assist me with a telephone number for the right person to speak to who can assist me in this matter?

Reply to Karin

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Sorry, your comment could not be posted. Please try again later!

Reply to

Most Read
Most Commented
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.