Win a year's subscription to the Mysmartkid programme!The Smartbox filled with age-appropriate toys, tools and activities as well as expert advice for children from before birth to 6 years.
Parent24 readers have their sayReaders share their thoughts and opinions - you can too!

Phillipa Tucker


Posted by: Tinus Venter | 2009-10-04


school age

I'm divorced. My son turns 6 on 17 November 2009 and lives with his mother. He is currently in grade R and must go to grade 1 next year. His mother want's to keep him in grade R for another year due to the fact that he turns 7 late in 2010. I don't agree with her. Can she keep him out of grade 1 for another year and can I force her to send him to school?

Expert's Reply


Phillipa Tucker Phillipa Tucker
- 2009-11-12

I would highly recommend you make an appointment with your principal and inform him before your meeting of the subject of the meeting. He can then discuss your child's progress with his teachers and get a professional opinion from them. There is not only the academic impact of this decision on the child but a psychological one if he is held back whilst his friends move onto the next year. I strongly advise that you follow the advice of the education experts at your school.

The information provided does not constitute a professional diagnosis of your problem. You should consult a health care practitioner, lawyer or other appropriate professional for formal advice. Parent24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Sorry, your comment could not be posted. Please try again later!

Reply to

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.