Arty crafty party food
Looking for some food and snack ideas for your child's arty crafty party? Here are some suggestions
In line with the creative theme, let your guests create their own eats
Selection of breads
White or brown sliced bread (provide an assortment of cookie cutters)
- Soft hot dog rolls
- Mini pitas
Selection of fillings
- Chicken mayo with walnuts and apple
- Tuna mayo with avo
- Peanut butter, banana and Nutella
- BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo)
- Baby tomatoes
- Cucumber ribbons (use a potato peeler and peel lengthways).
- Cold meats
- Cut out shapes of cheese slices using cookie cutter shapes.
- Store bought vanilla cake
- Vanilla butter icing
- Chocolate butter icing
- Selection of sweet decorations: liquorice, Smarties, jellybeans, silver balls, chocolate vermicelli
- Colour syrups
- Extra coloured icing
- Palette knife for icing
Vanilla butter icing
- 150g butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsps milk
- Beat the butter until white.
- Gradually beat in half the icing sugar.
- Add the milk.
- Beat in the other half of the icing sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
Chocolate butter icing
- Add two tablespoons of cocoa and three teaspoons of milk to ¼ of the vanilla icing.
- Beat until smooth.
Assembling the paintbrush cake
- Cut the cakes to resemble a paintbrush.
- Ice the bottom part in vanilla icing and the paintbrush tip in chocolate.
- Place strips of black liquorice down the tip to resemble bristles.
- Place colourful ribbon around the platter and tie in a bow.
- Place small bowls of sweets for selection around the cake.
- Your cake is ready for the decoration game.
- Vanilla ice cream
- Ice cream cones, glasses, wafers and brandy snap cookies
- Fresh fruit, eg strawberries, bananas, kiwi fruit
- Colourful syrups
- Chopped almonds
- Chocolate malt sweets
- Fresh fruit juice lollies
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the bottom of a glass.
- Let each guest add fresh fruit, syrup and nuts. (Good combos: strawberries, nuts and strawberry syrup; banana, chocolate malted sweets, caramel; kiwi fruit, lime syrup, pecan nuts).
Ice cream sandwich
- Place a big scoop of ice cream in the centre of a round brandy snap biscuit.
- Place another biscuit onto this and gently push down.
- Serve immediately.
Place fresh fruit juice mixed with soda water into small bottles with drinking straws and place in a colourful bucket with loads of ice.
Cheat’s Pink lemonade
- 1 litre lemonade
- Fresh lemon slice
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- ½ tsps red colouring
- Mix the lemonade, grapefruit juice and colouring together.
- Pour into a glass jug.
- Finish it off with ice blocks and slices of fresh lemon.
Need some ideas for an arty crafty party?
go here: http://www.yourparenting.co.za/child/parties/themes/arty-crafy-party