Ever wanted to make fortune cookies? These are perfect for parties, themed dinners or just for fun. Here is the recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 8 tbsps flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsps sugar
- 3 tsps water
- Write fortunes onto strips of paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Grease a baking sheet.
- Beat the egg whites with the vanilla and almond essence.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornflour, sugar and salt and then stir in the water. Add the egg mixture and stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture on the baking sheet and rotate the baking sheet until the batter spreads evenly into circles.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the outer edge begins to brown. Remove baking tray from the oven and allow to cool for a few seconds.
- Working very quickly, lift one cookie with a spatula and flip it over in your hand so that the evenly browned side is facing down. Place a fortune in the centre and gently fold the circle in half. Place the cookie over the edge of a glass and gently draw the sides down.
- Only bake two cookies at a time.
- Get someone to help you fold the cookies as they go cold very quickly.
- Wait for the tray to go cold before greasing again and baking the next batch of cookies.
- When handling the hot cookies, try wearing latex gloves to protect your hands, or covering your fingers in duct tape.