Icing and cake toppings
Have a cake recipe, but not sure how to make butter/butter cream icing? Need to know how to make royal icing or how to colour sugar or dessicated coconut? Here are some useful instructions
- 125g butter, softened
- 1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp milk
- Beat butter until white.
- Gradually beat in half the icing sugar.
- Add the milk.
- Beat in the other half of icing sugar.
- If you need white icing opposed to cream coloured icing, use white margerine.
- If you need coloured butter icing, just sift in some cocoa powder while mixing, or add a drop or 2 of food colouring/colour gels, or until it is the right colour
- Use colour gels instead of food colouring as the colours are more vibrant and won’t make your icing runny. Gels can be bought at any baking store
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Beat egg whites until just frothy.
- Gradually add sifted icing sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
Soft biscuit icing
- Icing sugar
- Gel food colouring
- Mix sifted icing sugar and water until thick and spreadable.
- This icing must drip – this is ideal for shaped cookies.
- Flavour and colour as needed.
- Castor sugar
- Food colouring
- Ziploc bag
- Put the sugar and the food colouring into a Ziploc bag.
- Rub and shake the bag until the colouring is mixed with the sugar.
Green grass coconut
- Desiccated coconut
- Green food colouring
- Ziploc bag
- Create “grass” by sealing the desiccated coconut and green food colouring in a Ziploc bag.
- Rub the bag until the colouring is mixed with the coconut.