Mary Had a Little Lamb cake
Your toddler will love this cake for a farmyard themed party!
We used a double layer of sponge to make this charming cake. You can search yourparenting.co.za to find a sponge cake recipe or you could make it even easier you could buy two plain sponge cakes from a store.
How to decorate this cake
- Sandwich the two cakes together with a layer of butter icing and then spread a thin layer of this icing around the cake. Place this on a cake board
- Roll out some green fondant icing. Cover the cake and board with this
- Use brown fondant icing to form the farm gates and fences and make flowers from different coloured fondant icing
- The grass can be piped on with royal icing or cut out of the fondant. Roll it out and using a sharp knife cut different lengths of triangles and place them around the cake as shown here
- Pipe the sheep directly onto the sides of the cake. Build them out slightly by layering several levels of piped icing. This will give them depth
- To make the sheep for the top of the cake, use a ball of fondant icing or bits of marshmallow to form the body and head. Pipe his coat on as you did the other sheep
- Draw facial features onto the sheep with an edible ink pen.
You can find fondant icing at any supermarket. Break off small pieces of this yummy “putty”, add a few drops of food colouring and knead it until the colour is even. Keep adding the food colouring until you get the colour you want.