Mexican fiesta cake
Here is a stunningly colourful Mexican fiesta cake to go with any Mexican-style birthday party, for old or young.
This cake is simple to make – all you need are two store-bought cakes. The intricacy comes through in the chocolate collar and icing.
Want to bake the cakes instead? go to: http://www.yourparenting.co.za/family/recipes/party-food/flop-proof-cake-recipe
- 1 large round cake
- 1 small round cake
White chocolate fudge icing
- 150g white chocolate, chopped
- 675g icing sugar
- 150g butter
- 135ml cream
- 15ml vanilla essence
- Place the icing sugar, butter, chocolate, cream and vanilla essence into a saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until the chocolate melts. Turn off the heat and stir until smooth.
- Beat the icing frequently while it cools and thickens.
- Place the large cake onto a platter.
- Ice with the chocolate fudge icing.
- Place the small cake directly atop the large cake, and ice.
- 300g white cooking chocolate
- Baking paper
- First cut the baking paper into a rectangle long and wide enough to wrap around the large cake. Cut more baking paper into a rectangle long and wide enough to go around the top of the small cake.
- Snip both papers in a wavy shape – like making a birthday crown for a child.
- Lay both sheets flat on a kitchen surface.
- Melt the white cooking chocolate in the microwave or in a double-boiler until smooth.
- Smooth the chocolate over the first baking sheet and wait until the corners start to harden slightly.
- Wrap the chocolate sheet around the bottom cake and mould around the cake. This should start to harden immediately. You have to do this very quickly before it sets.
- Do the same with the smaller cake.
- Once the chocolate has set, gently peel off the baking paper.
- Decorate with paper flowers, fresh strawberries and raspberries, ribbons and candles.
Want some party ideas for this mexican themed cake?
Need some mexican style food for your mexican party?
Go to: http://www.yourparenting.co.za/family/recipes/party-food/mexican-themed-party-food