Mexican-themed party food
Need some mexican-style drinks for the mexican birthday party you are planning? Need some mexican food ideas? Here are some ideas
- Orange juice
- Pour orange juice into a glass.
- Place an upside down tablespoon on the top of the orange juice and pour about two teaspoons of grenadine over the round of the spoon.
- The grenadine will sink to the bottom and cause a sunrise effect in the orange juice.
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups tomato juice
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Blend slightly to your desired consistency.
- Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing the flavours to blend.
- Pour into shooter glasses and garnish with deep-fried tortilla wedges
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 cups watermelon cubes, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 thin watermelon wedges
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar with 1/3 cup of water and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the syrup to a blender or food processor, add half of the watermelon cubes and the lime juice and pulse until smooth.
- Add the remaining watermelon cubes and blend until smooth.
- Pass the pureé through a coarse strainer.
- Transfer to a baking dish and freeze, stirring every 30 minutes with a fork, until all the liquid has frozen completely. It should be about 3 hours. Spoon the granita into tall glasses or bowls and garnish with the melon wedges.
- The granita can be frozen for up to two days. Stir before serving.
Frozen virgin margaritas
- 3 cups ice
- 250ml fresh lemonade
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Garnish: Sugared lime wedges (Brush lime wedges with egg white and dip into castor sugar. Dry on a baking tray before serving).
- Place ice, lemonade and lime juice into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and place garnish on the side of the frozen margarita.
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups lettuce, washed
- In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and Tabasco sauce, salt and blend well. Place chicken strips in sauce, stirring to coat.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Drain chicken strips and add to the pan, discarding marinade.
- Cook the chicken for 5 minutes, stirring once halfway during cooking time.
- Add onion and green pepper and sauté another 5 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Assemble your own fajitas with warmed tortillas, chicken filling, peppers, cheese and lettuce.
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large yellow or white onion, diced
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander
- ½ cup chopped spring onions
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Combine all vegetables together in a large bowl and squeeze in lemon juice and vinegar, sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill for three hours and enjoy!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small tomato
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice (or juice of one fresh lime)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the avocados and remove the pips.
- Peel and mince the onion and the garlic.
- Chop the tomato.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl (fun for the kids) and then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve cold with nacho chips.
Need some ideas for a mexican themed birthday party?
go to: http://www.yourparenting.co.za/child/parties/themes/mexican-fiesta-party
Looking for a mexican themed cake?