Movie magic party
Not sure what party to throw for your child? Try hosting an outdoor screening of the birthday child’s favourite movie. Here are some ideas
Lights, camera, action!
Make your own movie screen by hanging a large white sheet over a fence or a washing line. Place the
projector on a table about 5 metres away, depending on the size of the machine. You can hire a projector for around R700 from rental providers like Go Rentals (www.gorentals.co.za) or try the Epson DM1 Projector. Call toll-free 0860 33 77 66.
Use rugs, blankets, cushions and beanbags to create a comfortable area for guests to lounge around. Consider a director’s chair for the birthday child.
Our invitations were made to look like movie tickets, inviting guests to a premiere.
You can download the movie magic invitation from: http://www.yourparenting.co.za/tools/free-downloads/
Small torches are reminiscent of usherettes and fun to have as the light goes down and the party starts. More take-home gift ideas: sparklers, glam dress-up items like feather boas, or this fun Oscar statue (R50 from Flower Spot, Woodmead)
Before you start the show, host some movie-related games to get the party started.
Write down some funny or famous movie dialogue and see if the kids can tell you which movie it comes from. Here are some examples:
- “Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.” – Madagascar
- “Are we there yet?” – Shrek
- “To infinity and beyond ...” – Toy Story
- “If I’m not back in 5 minutes, wait longer!” – Ace Ventura, Pet Detective
- “Fish are friends, not food.” – Finding Nemo
- “Look at this. I’m so ticked off that I’m molting.” – Aladdin
- “I can’t wait to be king” – The Lion King
Make up some movie-related questions. Think of theme songs, famous actors and details from the plot.
Dress up as a movie character
Ask guests to dress up as a movie character, or as someone from the cast of one of your child’s favourite films.
Divide guests into two teams. Each team comes up with the names of 5 movies or TV shows and writes each one on a piece of paper. A representative from the other team picks one, reads the
name, but does not show any of her team members. It’s her job to act out the name of the movie for her teammates to guess.
Here’s how it goes:
- First, indicate to your team whether you’re going to mime the title of a movie, (by pretending to crank an old movie camera) or TV show (by drawing a square in the air).
- Next, show how many words are in the title (hold up the number of fingers). To indicate the number of syllables, tap your forearm with the right number of fingers.
Teach your guests some more charades clues:
- “sounds like” – cup your hand around your ear.
- “little word” – bring your thumb and index fingers together. The people guessing will call out “on”,”in”, “the”, “and” etc until they get the right word.
- “longer version of the word” – pretend to stretch an elastic.
- “shorter version of the word”– chop with your hand.
- “close, keep guessing!”– frantically wave hands to keep the guesses coming.
Looking for some ideas for movie magic party snacks?
Go to: http://www.yourparenting.co.za/family/recipes/party-food/movie-magic-party-food
Need a movie themed cake?