Movie reel cake
Have you organised a movie-themed birthday for your child but don't have a cake? This movie reel cake is the perfect addition to a movie magic or block buster themed party.
- 270g butter, softened
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1 ½ cup castor sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 tsps vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the butter, self raising fl our, castor sugar, eggs and vanilla essence into a large bowl.
- Beat all the ingredients together with an electric beater until pale and creamy.
- Divide the mixture into two round greased baking tins.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Vanilla butter icing
- 150g butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsps milk
- Beat the butter until white.
- Gradually beat in half the icing sugar.
- Add milk.
- Then beat in the other half of icing sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
- Divide your store-bought ”plastic” icing into ¾ and ¼ .
- Colour the ¾ ball with brown gel until desired colour is achieved.
- Colour the other ¼ ball with black gel until desired colour is achieved.
- Wrap the coloured balls separately with cling wrap and leave at room temperature until required.
Assembling the reel cake
- Place one vanilla sponge round on your serving platter.
- Ice the top with butter icing and sandwich together. Using the rest of the icing, neatly ice the top and side of the sandwiched rounds.
- Roll out the brown fondant icing on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar.
- Make sure your rolled circle is big enough to cover the entire cake with about 2cm extra.
- Gently place the rolled icing over the sponge cake and ensure it’s neatly covered. Trim any excess icing and smooth the edges.
- Brush lightly with a little water to get rid of loose icing sugar.
- Roll out the black fondant icing and cut a 20cm diameter circle.
- Gently place it in the centre of the cake and lightly brush with water.
- Let the cake dry and set.
- Decorate with a stripy ribbon, write a message and then place your sparklers (a nice alternative to candles).
- Light the sparklers and see the magic!