Rumble in the Jungle cake
Boy or girl, let your toddler’s imagination go wild with this jungle themed cake
You will need three round cakes to really make the lion roar on this one. The easiest is to buy a 12”
(30cm) round ready-made cake and two 8” (20cm) round cakes. Trim the top one down to size.
Alternatively bake the cakes yourself using Margaret’s sponge cake recipe on our website: www.yourparenting.co.za.
How to decorate this jungle cake
- Place the biggest cake on a cake board and spread with butter icing or jam to ensure the fondant icing sticks to the cake
- Roll out some white or coloured fondant icing and cover the largest cake round and the board
- Do the same with the smaller cakes using jam or butter icing and then green fondant
- Place these two cakes in position on the large cake
- Roll out a piece of blue icing and cut into a strip. Place this down all three layers (sticking it with cooled, boiled water to the cake) to resemble a river
- Colour more fondant icing to mould animals, leaves, trees, grass, etc
- Adding a little CMC powder to the coloured paste will help to make the icing firmer and hold its shape more easily
- Attach all animals and plants to the cake with a little piped butter or royal icing to secure them
- Use your imagination making the animals, trees and plants.
Purchase fondant icing, CMC powder and gel colourings from specialist baking stores.
If you don’t have time to make animals you may find similar ones in baking stores.
Cake design and recipe: Margaret Hosking 011 803 5588