Budgeting tips to save up for baby
Budgeting is so important. The sooner you prepare your budget, the better prepared you will be, and the more time you will have to save for all those baby essentials (and a few luxuries too).
The key to budgeting is to plan in advance what you are going to spend each month. Nobody buys everything needed for baby all at once, so the total cost is not important, but by having visibility of a 'target' to save for each month, it is much easier to succeed in saving for what you want.
Here are 6 easy steps to budgeting:
- Write a list of all the items you want to buy your baby.
- Get prices from leading retailers.
- Sort the list into essentials and luxuries.
- That way you will know what you 'have to' spend each month vs what you would 'like to' spend.
- TIP: See what items you can get second-hand from friends and family.
- Create a grid using rows for the items you want to buy and columns for the months you will spend the money.
- Decide which month you will need each of the items, and write down the amount in the appropriate month.
- For consumable items (like nappies and cream), make sure you allow for a repeat spend in each month.
- Sum the total spend needed for each month.
- Start saving.
- (Note: A budget is never perfect and there are lots of things that can change, so keep adjusting it each month to keep it as accurate as possible.)
- TIP: Pin the budget to somewhere visible (like a fridge) to remind yourself what the target is each month.
- TIP: Watch for weekly deals from retailers. If you plan early, you will have time to make sure you buy everything you need on promotion and ensure you get the best deals.