Childproof your kitchen
Heat, water and sharp stuff. Be aware of your child in the kitchen
- Keep kettles, toasters and irons (including cords) far back on working surfaces so that they cannot be pulled down.
- Supervise children when the washing machine is in use.
- Keep your child at a safe distance while you cook.
- Always use the back rings on the stove and turn pan handles away from the front of the stove.
- Keep young children away from the front of ovens or better still put up a protective barrier or grid in front of the stove.
- Don't open the oven door when children are close by.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
- Lock all potentially poisonous substances out of reach and out of sight of your child.
- Buy cleaning products with childproof packaging.
- Never store non-food products in empty food containers (eg paraffin in a cooldrink bottle).
- Install child locks on low cupboards and drawers.
- Always store breakable items on the highest shelf.
- Pack knives and forks upside down in the cutlery tray of the dishwasher. Always keep the door closed – even when not in use. Pack glasses and other breakable crockery away immediately.