Foil the flu
Avoid catching the flu with these 7 tips.
Boys playing soccer
Help your family avoid colds and flu with these 7 tips:
- Wash hands, it’s the best way to avoid contamination. Encourage your children to use warm water and soap, and make sure they lather up for 20 seconds.
- Cover the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing.
- Don’t touch. Teach kids not to touch their mouths, noses or eyes more than necessary – that’s how germs get from the hands into the body.
- Rest up. A good sleep routine is essential for the healthy functioning of the immune system.
- Get exercise. It’s a myth that the cold air gives kids colds and flu. In fact, the fresh air is good for them. Much better to go for a walk than to be indoors in close contact with other people, some of whom might be infectious.
- Eat right. In cold season particularly, children need the vitamins found in fruits and vegetables to bolster the immune system. Invest in a good children’s multivitamin, too.
- Stay home. Do other moms a favour and keep sick children at home – they’ll recover better and you’ll avoid infecting the entire class.