Make up your own first-aid kit
A handy list of everything you'll need in your first-aid kit.
Every home needs a well-stocked first-aid kit.
You can buy a standard one but if you prefer to compile your own, St John Ambulance offers a list of must-haves:
- wound cleaner / antiseptic
- swabs for cleaning wounds
- cotton wool for padding
- sterile gauze
- tweezers (to remove splinters)
- safety pins
- triangular bandages
- roller bandages
- roll of elastic adhesive
- non allergenic adhesive strip
- plasters in various sizes
- disposable latex gloves
- CPR mouth pieces or similar devices
A few tips:
- Keep these together in a big plastic container with a sealable lid.
- Regularly check the kit and replace anything past its expiry date, nothing is leaking and the sterile packinging is undamaged.
- Ensure it's stored well out of reach of children.
- Familiarise yourself with all the items and know what they're used for. Also show your nanny and other caregivers.
- Enroll yourself, your partner, older children and caregivers in a first-aid course. For details, contact St John Ambulance.
- You can buy smaller travel kits, which are handy to keep in the car.