Safety tips for children
Discuss these safety tips with your children to keep them out of harm's way
Missing Children SA has supplied us with these great tips to keep your children safe. Download it here tips_for_children.pdf, print it out, discuss it with your children and stick it to your fridge.
- Never ever go anywhere alone. Make sure you are in a group with friends or with an adult you personally know and whom your parents trust.
- Never go anywhere without telling your parents where you are going. Make sure your parents have the phone numbers of your friends who you are with. Always let your parents know if your plans change.
- Learn your parents' telephone numbers off by heart. And your mom's and dad's surname. Also learn an aunt's or uncle's number in case you can't get hold of your parents.
- Dont go to places that you don't know. If you get lost in a shopping centre (or anywhere else), go to the security immediately and ask for help. Don't try to look for your parents yourself... get help!
- Don't go with people you don't trust. Don't go to public toilets on your own. Go with friends or with your parents.
- Don't take sweets, money, gifts or cool rinkgs – don't take ANYTHING – from strangers (including female strangers).
- Don't accept lifts from strangers. Never ever get into a stranger's car or go anywhere with them.
- If someone is following you, RUN! And SCREAM! Make loud noises! Rather be safe than sorry.
- Write your name on the inside of your clothes and your schoolbag. As well as your parents' phone numbers. Never on the outside where strangers can see it.
- Don't play in the streets alone! It is easy for a stranger to stop next to you, grab you and pull you into the car.
- REMEMBER the BUDDY SYSTEM: Always take a friend/buddy with you, wherever you go! Hold onto your friend! This way you can help each other when you are in trouble, anywhere you go!
- Learn these telephone numbers or add them to your cellphone:
Cellphone help: 112
Missing Children SA: 072 MISSING
SAPS Crimestop: 08600 10111
Childline: 08000 55 555
- Mr Price has announced that for the duration of the World Cup, every Mr Price store will be a "safe place" - if you get lost in a shopping centre, immediately notify security and make your way to a Mr Price store, where trained officials will look after you and help you locate your parents. To read more, download this flyer: mr_price_safe_place.pdf