Support Earth Hour 2011!
Let's all switch of the lights on 26 March, take the kids outside and watch the stars! Tell them why you're doing it and raise a nature-loving, caring generation...
Earth Hour is the largest mass participation environmental event in the world. Every year, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) encourages people all over the world to turn off their lights for one hour in a symbolic gesture to pledge their commitment to combating climate change.
This year Earth Hour takes place from 8.30pm to 9.30pm on Saturday 26 March and we would like to invite you to join us in what promises to be an amazing and inspiring global celebration of our collective commitment to the planet.
This year is especially important for South Africa as we will host the crucial COP17 climate change conference in Durban in December and will once again be in the global spotlight. This annual conference is where world leaders meet to assess progress in dealing with climate change and negotiate obligations for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
The significance is huge: South Africa will play host to a point in history at which humanity has the opportunity to prevent runaway climate change. We encourage everyone in South Africa to take a stand against climate change as it affects all of us, our country and our planet.
For more information about climate change, please click here.
This year WWF is challenging you, your business and your community to go beyond the hour and tell us what you will do to benefit the environment on an on-going basis. With COP 17 on the horizon, it is especially important for everyone in South Africa to make their voices heard and to go beyond the hour.
Here’s what you can do:
- Sign up on www.earthhour.org.za
- Switch off the lights of your home/business on 26 March from 8:30pm – 9:30pm.
- Spread the message to your family, friends, colleagues, employees, students, members, tenants, customers and everyone in-between! Use social media to tell your friends and the world about Earth Hour.
- Share stories of how you will sustain your action beyond the hour
- Tell us about events that you planning for Earth Hour by clicking here.
- Support WWF’s contribution to the fight against climate change by donating R10 to WWF by SMSing Earth Hour + your name to 38636 (R10/SMS, less network revenue fees).
- If you would like to support Earth Hour in a big way or make a donation, please contact us on 021 657 6600. Dream big and make Earth Hour 2011 your own! Contact us if you have any questions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Join hundreds of millions of people from across the globe in celebrating Earth Hour. Please save the date: Saturday 26 March 2011, 8:30pm – 9:30pm. Join in Earth Hour’s celebration of the planet. Together, our actions add up!