Tobacco kills! Protect our youth
Say NO to tobacco for at least a day! We put together a quick guide, with the info provided by CANSA, to help you make the decision to quit smoking.
CANSA (Cancer Association of South Africa) focuses on the use of tobacco amongst the youth.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) states that most people start smoking before the age of 18 & almost a ¼ start using tobacco before age 10!
- The tobacco industry is actively preying on & using clever marketing tactics to target young people in order to get them to start smoking.
- Smokeless tobacco products & waterpipe smoking are being promoted amongst our youth as healthy alternatives to smoking cigarettes - this is NOT true.
Is waterpipe smoking safe?
Waterpipe smoking is NOT safe!
Smoking waterpipes (hookahs, hubbly bubbly, narghiles, shisha, goza) has become an increasingly popular pastime with young people, because it is seen as a fun way to socialise with friends. It is also viewed as less harmful than smoking cigarettes - this is a myth - please spread the word among our youth!
Kids have a right to a smoke-free world
Protect our youth by upholding these laws:
- Adults may NOT smoke in a motor vehicle when children under the age of 12 are in the vehicle.
- Smoking is NOT allowed in premises ( including private homes) used for commercial childcare activities, such as crèches, or for schooling or tutoring.
- The sale of tobacco products to and by persons under the age of 18 years is prohibited.
- No person under the age of 18 may enter a designated smoking area, or may smoke in a designated smoking area.
Say NO for at least a day!