Treat electric shock
Know what to do in case of electrical shock.
The longer your child is in contact with the current, the less likely are the chances of survival. The source could be a defective household appliance, electrical wire or lightning. Electric current passing through the body can cause breathing to stop or the heart to stop beating. Remember that internal body damage is not always obvious. Always seek medical help immediately.

Home treatment
  • Do not approach your child who has been electrocuted until you are certain the area is safe. First, break contact between her and the current source. Best is to shut off the current at the main fuse box. Do not use the switch of the appliance. If this is not possible, use a wooden stick to separate the person from the appliance. Stand on a rubber mat, or stack of newspapers or another non-conducting material.
  • A victim who has been struck by lightning, poses no more danger to the rescuer.
  • Check the ABC’s: airway, breathing, circulation and start CPR if necessary. Check for shock.
  • Call an ambulance.
  • With high voltages, the person may have been thrown into the air and may have sustained back, head or neck injuries. Handle with care.
  • Cover any burnt area with a sterile gauze bandage or a clean cloth. Electrical burns are always worse than they seem. Get to a doctor.

Read Parent24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.


Want to know what your baby looks like and what you can expect at this stage?




Balance routine and creativity

Little people need routine, but creative play is also essential. Try these activities with them to balance the two.

See more >


Everything from parties to pre-schools in your area.