Thousands vaccinated in Stellenbosch after measles outbreak
A total of 2,700 learners in three Stellenbosch schools have been successfully vaccinated against measles.
Last week, 5 Stellenbosch learners were diagnosed with measles, prompting the Department of Health to launch a measles-vaccination campaign in the town.
Around 7% of parents didn't give permission for their children to be vaccinated, says Jo-Anne Otto, spokesperson for the Boland Department of Health. "We are extremely grateful to all the parents who did grant permission, as well as all the headmasters who allowed us to vaccinate at their schools.
"The number of learners who have been vaccinated is enough to protect the big group of teens against measles," she continues.
They're currently only focusing on Stellenbosch and surroundings, says Otto. "We're visiting daycare centres and nursery schools to vaccinate babies from 6 months and preschoolers up to 4 years. It is vital that parents sign the permission letters from these institutions; it gives us the right to vaccinate their children."
Parents in the Stellenbosch area may also take their kids between 6 months and 4 years to clinics for their vaccinations. Otto says, "There will be no waiting times. Parents should just remember to take their children's Road to Health clinic cards."
Seven confirmed cases of measles has been reported at schools in the area.
The website of Paul Roos Gimnasium confirmed that a few new cases were confirmed on Monday. According to the website, "more than 90% of the boys were vaccinated. All sport and culture activities are going ahead, and all events with learners from other schools have been postponed until Monday 20 February, depending on any new confirmed cases."
The school also moved its open day from 13 February to 13 March.
The statement on the website continues: "Every learner carries the moral responsibility to avoid any contact with the public or other learners."
Are your kids' vaccinations up to date? Email email@example.com with your comments.