Broccoli and almond soup
Even kids will love broccoli in this winter warming broccoli and almond soup. It's a yummy and filling vegetarian must in the cold weather!
2 tablespoons Butter
1 Onion, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
225g Potato, diced
75ml Dry, white wine (optional)
700ml Vegetable stock
2 Heads broccoli
50g Ground almonds
1 bunch Parsley, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and fry gently for 2-3 minutes till soft but not browned.
2. Add the potatoes, white wine (if using) and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Chop the broccoli into small pieces and add to the pan. Continue to cook for a further 6-8 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
4. Add 150ml of the cream, the almonds and half the parsley.
5. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Blend in a food processor or using a stick blender. Remove a portion for baby (suitable from 9 months if there is no allergy to nuts). Return the rest of the soup to the stove and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
6. To serve, spoon into bowls and top with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkling of parsley.
Did you know?
Parsley is a great source of Vitamins K, C & A as well as folate and iron. Raw parsley cleanses the blood, maintains elasticity of blood vessels and is a wonderful treatment for ear infections! The volatile oils in parsley qualifies it as a “chemoprotective” food – a food that can help neutralize certain types of carcinogens.