Cauliflower and Pear Soup
Warm up this winter with a steaming bowl of soup. What makes soups so fantastic for new moms is that it’s easy to convert a nutritious purée for your baby into a yummy meal for the whole family. Cauliflower and pear is a warming winter must.
1 head (500g) cauliflower, cut into florets
2 pears, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
2 leeks, washed and chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Make the purée first by steaming the cauliflower and pears together in a steaming basket in a pot over a little boiling water (or use an electric steamer).
2. Purée the cauliflower and pears together using a little of the cooking liquid to get a smooth consistency.
3. Dish a portion for your baby and set aside the rest for the soup.
4. Heat the butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the leeks over medium heat till golden.
5. Add the purée left over after you’ve taken out your baby’s portion, then stir in the chicken stock and cream. Heat through (but do not bring to the boil), season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.