Chicory & peppadew quiche (makes one large quiche)
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 125 g butter or margarine
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter or margarine
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 head Witloof chicory
- 60 g peppadews, chopped coarsely
- 200 ml (¾ cup) milk or cream
- 2 extra large eggs
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh mixed herbs or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pastry: Mix all ingredients to a soft dough in a food processor or by hand. Press into base and sides of a greased 24 cm quiche dish.
Filling: Heat butter and sauté onion and garlic. Spoon onto the pastry base. Trim off bottom ends of chicory, cut leaves coarsely and add with peppadews onto onion mixture.
Beat milk, eggs, herbs and seasoning. Pour over vegetables. Bake in preheated oven at 180 °C for 35 - 40 minutes.
Substitute the peppadews with 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped.
Make 8 medium-small quiches instead of 1 large.