Cooking with pasta
Pasta is a complex carbohydrate. This means it gives sustained energy. And it is easy to use! Here are recipes for wholewheat pasta with tomato and basil, macaroni and cheese with chicken and vegetable pasta. Recipes serve 4-6
Wholewheat pasta with tomato and basil
- 1 packet cherry tomatoes
- 500g wholewheat pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- garlic to taste, finely chopped
- fresh basil leaves (as many as you desire)
- Grill the cherry tomatoes in the olive oil until cooked. The tomatoes can be cut into halves before cooking.
- Bring salt water to the boil and cook the wholewheat pasta until al dente.
- Fry the chopped garlic in a saucepan until brown. Be careful not to burn it. Add the grilled tomato.
- Drain the pasta but leave a little bit of water behind so that it doesn’t stick together. Add the tomato mixture and some basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Best for: make tonight
If you're not used to the taste of wholewheat pasta you might need to cook it for an extra minute until you get used to it
Macaroni and cheese with chicken
- ½ cup macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup chicken, cooked
- 1 tsp salt (grown-ups only)
- ½ tsp mustard (grown-ups only)
- Pepper to taste (grown-ups only)
- Cook the pasta until al dente.
- Beat the eggs slightly and add the salt, pepper, mustard and milk.
- Add the macaroni, cheese and chicken. Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin. Bake for 30 minutes at 180ºC.
We have used chicken but other ingredients can also be added to give a twist to the recipe, such as ham, bacon and tomato.
Good for: freezing for later
Use baking paper to create the perfect packaging for a lunch box.
- 1 packet chopped vegetables (available at most supermarkets)
- 500g pasta of your choice
- 250g bacon
- 1 round feta, chopped
- sesame seeds, roasted (optional)
- Prepare the vegetables according to the instructions on the pack or bake for 40 minutes at 180ºC.
- Add the feta when the vegetables are nearly done.
- Prepare the bacon separately.
- Cook the pasta while the vegetables are roasting in the oven. Once done, add the two together. Add the Bacon and sesame seeds to the vegetables and serve on the pasta.
Perfect for: children
To make this dish babyfriendly mash the cooked veggies