Couscous salad with herbs, raisins and pistachios
Couscous, a coarsely ground semolina pasta, is a good low-fat source of complex carbohydrate. Children like it and it makes a good basis for a salad.
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup of feta cheese, broken into small pieces
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- Put the couscous into a bowl and pour over enough boiling water or stock to cover.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave for 5 minutes.
- Stir in a dash of olive oil and lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a fork.
- Add the fresh ingredients and mix together.
- Sprinkle with pistachios immediately before serving.