Hearty Beef Stew
Nothing compares to the wholesome goodness of a beef stew on a winter’s night.
- 1,5 kg beef stew meat cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp Flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 625ml tomato purée
- 1 tsp basil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 125ml beef stock
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toss the cubes of meat into the mixture until evenly coated.
- In a heavy ovenproof saucepan heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and cook the onions.
- Add the beef cubes and brown evenly.
- Add the tomato puree and basil.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and bake in the oven for an hour without stirring.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and stock and continue to cook in the oven for a further 1½ hours, or until the vegetables are cooked through and the beef is fork-tender.