Macaroni cheese and chive soufflé
This child-friendly meal is to be eaten on the night it is made. Made with cheese, egg and pasta, it is perfect for your toddler or baby.
- 250g macaroni or penne pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100g butter
- 100g cake flour
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 500ml milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- small bunch of fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the butter until golden brown.
- Add the flour, mustard powder, salt and pepper and stir together. Remove from the heat and add the milk.
- Return to heat and use a wooden spoon or balloon whisk to stir the sauce until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold into the white sauce. Stir in the pasta, cheddar cheese and chives (reserve a little cheese to sprinkle over the top). Pour into an ovenproof dish and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.