Ostrich & prune stew
You can replace the ostrich meat in this recipe with stewing beef or even chicken thigh meat. The prunes in the stew help keep you regular if you're battling with constipation.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 pickling onions, peeled and cut in half
- 125g button mushrooms
- 500g ostrich steaks, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125g pitted prunes
- 1 cup (250ml) beef or chicken stock
How to prepare:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron )or other ovenproof) casserole and fry onions on medium heat until golden brown. Increase heat to high and fry the mushrooms for 2-4 minutes.
- In the meantime, season the ostrich cubes with salt and pepper and then sprinkle flour over.
- Remove onions and mushrooms from casserole and brown meat in the same casserole dish batches. Remove from heat, add onions and mushrooms back into casserole, then add prunes. Pour stock over and place in oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove and serve with rice or mashed potato.