Pea soufflé? Yes please! Try this delicious sweet savoury dish.
What you need:
- 225g frozen peas
- 55g butter
- 45g plain flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- 45g mature cheddar, grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- salt and pepper
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 1 litre soufflé dish or four small ramekins.
- Blanch the peas in boiling water for about three minutes. Quickly plunge into cold water to retain the bright green colour. Place the peas in a food processor and purée until smooth (or pass through a sieve). Add the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Remove from heat and add the milk. Whisk with a balloon whisk to ensure there are no lumps. Return to heat and stir constantly until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and pea purée. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the pea mixture. Spoon into prepared soufflé dishes and bake for 20 minutes until it has risen and is browned on top. Eat straight away.