It's easy to make your own basil pesto and baby can eat it from an early age. It's a convenient staple to keep on hand.
What you need:
- 1 large bunch of basil leaves
- ½ clove garlic, grated
- 150ml olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Past of your choice (we used small pasta shapes that are easy for baby to eat by hand)
- Grated lemon zest
What to do:
- To make the pesto: put all the ingredients (except the pasta) into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. You can also make this in mortar and pestle.
- Pour the pesto into a jar and cover with a little extra oil, then seal and store in the fridge. It will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge, otherwise spoon into ice trays and freeze. It will keep in the freezer for three months.
- To make pesto pasta: boil pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and stir through enough pesto to lightly coat the pasta. Grate a little extra Parmesan cheese over the top and serve.