Poseidon's pita pockets
This wholsome fishy pocket will have your family coming back for more.
For the hake balls:
- 500g hake (or any other firm fish)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (Maizena)
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying (like sunflower or canola oil)
- 4 wholewheat pita breads
- 1 cup guacamole (made from mashing two avos with two tablespoons of lemon juice and a little salt and pepper)
- 1 cup cherry tomato salsa (made from ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered and ½ red onion, finely chopped)
- Lettuce leaves
- Start making the hake balls by placing all the ingredients (except oil) in a food processor and pulsing until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roll tablespoonfuls of the fish mixture into balls.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Fry the fish balls for about five minutes or until golden all around.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes to cook through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To assemble the pitas: cut the pita breads in half and open the pockets. Spread a little guacamole inside each pita pocket, then fill up with lettuce leaves, salsa and fish balls. Wrap up in the cling wrap or pack into a sandwich bag and pack into your lunch tin.