This delicious shepherd's pie recipe is a classic favourite. With a mince base and a mashed potato lid, it's easy to make and delicious to eat for young and old.
It's great for young children too, as everything is soft and easy to chew.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200ml beef stock
- 200g tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 750 g potatoes
- 25g butter
- Brown the mince in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic and cook for a further ten minutes.
- Stir in the stock and tomatoes, and bring to the boil.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, herbs and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in water until tender. Drain and mash, mixing in the butter.
- Place the cooked mince into an ovenproof dish and add the mash on top, smoothing it over.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30 minutes, or until the potato topping is golden brown.
- Add mushrooms or a tin of baked beans to the mixture for some extra taste.
- Grate some cheese over the mash potato for the last 10 minutes of cooking time for a tasty, crispy topping.