Spaghetti with meat sauce
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of mixed herbs
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500g of ground beef (mince meat)
- 1 cup of fresh milk
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can pre-made tomato pasta sauce
- salt and pepper to season
- 3-4 tbsp of chopped, fresh basil
- spaghetti or your favourite wholewheat pasta, cooked according to package instructions.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-heat. Add the onion and cook for three minutes. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for a further minute.
- Add the mince and cook for five minutes, making sure you break up any large lumps. Add the milk, mushrooms, and bell pepper and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add the tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. (Cook the pasta while the sauce is simmering)
- Adjust the seasoning, add the basil and serve over the spaghetti. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired, for added calcium (and taste!).
MEAT SAUCE CAN BE KEPT FOR THREE DAYS IN THE FRIDGE AND A MONTH IF FROZEN.