Spinach, Sweet Potato and Mascarpone Soup
There’s nothing better to warm you up in winter than a steaming bowl of soup. It’s also easy to convert into a nutritious purée for your baby.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (250g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
200g spinach (fresh), washed
1 litre vegetable stock
1 tub mascarpone or low-fat cream cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until light golden. Add the sweet potato and fry gently for a few minutes.
2. Add half the spinach and the vegetable stock. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Remove a portion of spinach and sweet potato for your baby and blend to a purée using some of the liquid if necessary. Stir in a teaspoon of the mascarpone or cream cheese if your baby is older than 9 months.
4. Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender (or leave it in the pot and use a stick blender), add the rest of the spinach and blend till smooth.
5. Return to the saucepan and while simmering over low heat, stir in the mascarpone or cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Adding half the (uncooked) spinach in the end ensures your soup has a vibrant green colour and retains so much more of the nutrients than cooking it does.